Thoughts. (Entry #1)

I guess this shall be the first of many entries. Remember that "Learning Journal" I mentioned a few posts back? Well, I couldn't really think of a good name for it. So I shall just title these posts, Thoughts. which is beautiful enough a name in its simplicity, because essentially that's what these are, just my thoughts; opinionated, uncensored, raw.
 
I've done a lot of digesting this morning, and yesterday morning as well, mostly on current affairs.
 
The whole Syria issue is interesting to follow. Tensions have been high regarding the US' decision for a military strike. I've looked at the 'graphic' footage of the gas attacks in Damascus (though honestly it wasn't that bad -- though perhaps the actual graphic footage isn't so easy to find) and it was disturbing to see the effects of a chemical attack. I saw Obama's national address on the matter (it might be just me, but he seems considerably thinner since I last saw him speak -- then again, being POTUS must not be an easy job) and it was nice to see how much of the people's concerns he took into consideration. His decision to pursue a more diplomatic path, i.e. not resort to military intervention, was a good call in my book.
 
A new Van Gogh painting has been authenticated. I'm really glad to see people appreciate his work (though it's sad to think he's not still around to see it). I'm a bit self-conscious whenever anyone mentions him, because naturally I say I like him, but then I feel pretentious. My fascination with Vincent van Gogh and his work stems from the episode they did on him in Doctor Who, which though was based on his actual life, is still fiction. And it was great way to be introduced as it made me relate and attach myself to him on an emotional level. But from a factual perspective, it probably wasn't the best springboard. I would love more than anything to learn more about his life and perhaps see his works in person, but for now, I will respectfully say that my knowledge on Van Gogh is narrow and limited.
 
September 11, otherwise known as 9/11, has been a significantly remembered date since the event that occurred in 2001. At the risk of sounding very unsympathetic, it has been 12 years after 9/11 and I fail to see why the US feels the need to go to such extravagant lengths to commemorate it. Granted, when 9/11 I was 4-5 years old and had no idea that such a tragedy was even happening so perhaps it's not my place to say. But when you go as far as reading out the names of the 2000+ victims lost to the terrorist attack, it seems a bit much doesn't it? I do believe that what happened was a tragedy, but they are better ways to remember them, better ways to mourn. Especially for those who actually lost someone in the attack, shouldn't their remembrance be something personal? 12 years on, people all still haunted by 9/11, which to an extent is understandable. But when I discover stories of discrimination (against Muslims, people of Arabic descent) still being strongly present then maybe it's time to move on, not completely forget what happened but to at least move forward to a world that's all the more better for it.
 
I realize I have this tendency to zero in on news regarding Indonesia and the Philippines, and to be honest, Singapore news especially regarding the government, policies and public figures. I do think that the Singapore government has gotten their things in order but as I'm not an actual citizen of this pretty cool country, I might be a little blind to the downfalls. Again, not to make my identity crisis syndrome act up, but I think that one reason why I am quite a fan of Singapore (well, most of it, definitely NOT it's education system) is that I've been subjected to the negative torrent of criticism and lack of propriety shown by the Indonesian government and to see Singapore be somewhat well-governed is damn refreshing. I do however, place a lot of hope and optimism upon the land of my forefathers, and though I may not feel emotionally attached to Indonesia, it's good sides, such as it's tradition and culture, is apparent even to me. I even have both the Indonesian and Singaporean flags, which I obtained from their Independence day celebrations (which are just a week between each other), mounted on my wall. (If only I could get a Philippines one somehow). And I guess it serves as a good reminder of the diverse, rolling stone life I lead.
 
Anywaysbacktothenews.
 
Indonesia is gearing up for the 2014 general elections and of course, it's never to early to speculate who will find themselves in the presidential hot seat. It was interesting to see the name Joko Widodo and it actually sounds like a good idea to me. Joko Widodo is quite young for a politician and is currently serving as governor of the nation's capital, Jakarta. He has been making decent progress so far. He's pushing for the railway system to finally see the light of day, he's been cleaning up the streets. And it's refreshing to see new blood try to (hopefully) revamp the corrupt government. There's been some criticism to the very notion of this. Some believe that Jokowi has yet to prove himself, but let me remind you that he's had 5 years experience under his belt from running Solo, and for those who say he isn't even done with 'fixing' Jakarta, any plans for the capital will surely be more effectively run in the president's seat, because if there's one thing the Indonesian government is good at it is at not being able to coordinate.
 
Philippines has been hit by rebel attacks in some villages, and though I'm not completely sure why, I hope that they manage to resolve the problem peacefully, before any more innocent people are hurt.
 
Following Singapore headlines has inexplicably introduced me to what's happened with the IOC (International Olympics Committee). Tokyo has managed to secure its bid as the 2020 Olympics host (yay for Japan!!) and they've just elected Mr Bach as its new head. Now, the elections was especially fascinating as I realize that Asians got some power, man. Ng Ser Miang, a Singaporean, was a strong candidate during voting and seeing what he's done such as introducing the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore a few years back (if I'm not mistaken. I was sadly unable to follow and be more involved in the Games, though I was very supportive of this initiative). It's nice to know that someone is so invested in the youths of today, and also nice to realize that Asians do have a significant presence and authority in the "Western" world and being able to read about people making a difference out there is quite inspiring.
 
Well, I started writing this thing around 11 pm and now it's close to 1 am (what can I say, I got distracted). I am quite satisfied with how this first entry came out, though I should probably be more focused next time. Anyways, if you took the time to fully read this post, then I thank you very, very much and I hope that what I've written gets you thinking. Any comments are welcome (though honestly I'm terrible at keeping up with them).
 
So, 'till the next post then!
 
--Karin Novelia, Trying to Stay Current in a Fast-Paced World

0 comments:

Post a Comment