AYC, Day 9

4th August 2010

Today is a bit of a sad day. Too bad none us realized it until it was too late. For me (a YDL) this day would be Day Nine. For the rest, Day 6. But for all of us, THE FINAL DAY OF AYC 2010. 

Maybe because we we're having so much fun, we probably didn't realize things were gonna draw to a close. Maybe we did, and maybe we were just in self-denial. When I woke late today,  I noticed I was moving a bit more sluggishly than usual. Did I subconsciously realize that today was the day, and had a compulsive need to slow down time, even only in my mind?

I'm not sure. But as I got dressed into my school uniform -- blouse unwrinkled, skirt aligned, sock and shoes neat, topped off with my AYC name tag and new favorite black tie -- I couldn't help but stare at the mirror once again, like on that fateful first day.

I, for some reason, looked different. The spark was there in my eyes again, and the faintest smile was twitching at the corner of my lips, even though there was nothing in particular to be happy about. I reflected not only my new image, but on my new experiences here as well.

I smiled at the games, the fun, the laughter. 

I frowned at my mistakes, stumbles and self-doubt.

I regretted that things weren't truly at it's best. That I was, at times, not at my best.

I regretted being scared for being here. Feeling like I didn't deserve it.

But then I realized, that even if I thought that way, no one else did. Because I was still here, and they believed that I did deserve it.

When I removed myself from my inner-thoughts, I was absolutely thankful for everything! I felt confident now, ready to take on the world. And saying goodbye was the last thing on my mind.

Sentiments aside, feeling good and looking good (I hope!), we headed over to Victoria School. (Have I mentioned how awesome it is? XD). We went into a small conference room first before the auditorium, to present the results of our Country-Based Work Session plans. 

Suffice to say, it went well. Thanks Yudhi for taking the role of speaker.

Our Indonesia project was to increase the education in the English subject, one of the determining factors for the SMP UN (junior high national exams). The other countries, such as Vietnam, plan on cleaning a beach to help improve the environment. Singapore was on raising Youth Awareness and Involvement. Malaysia was to gather funds for different causes.

It was very interesting and inspiring to see the different countries find different ways to solve their respective problems. 

And after the presentation was a little group session, where we sort of said all the things we were thankful and happy about AYC, since the curtains were drawing to a close. Everyone was exchanging shirts, to be signed as souvenirs. I stupidly, haven't thought of bringing my AYC shirt. 

So I came up with a brilliant idea. My canvas shall be be my own hands and arms XD.

Crazy? Not really. Dangerous? A bit, if you don't wash them off ASAP! The last time I did this was during the 2nd grade before I left the Philippines. Sure, I got into trouble and a really LONG bath after I came home, but it was a fun experience.

I ended up with a bunch of signatures all over my hands and arms, and took photos of them, before washing them off. Still trying to get the photos uploaded though, so be patient!

Now came the slightly more saddening part. The AYC 2010 Closing Ceremony. It really was such a honorable event. We were all happy that AYC had happened. We were proud of the things we achieved, the new friends we have met, the experiences we've gained. We had a lot of official photo taking between the groups and Chairpersons and Mr Chu.

The event was also adorned with Cultural Performances by the different countries.  Malaysia had a fashion show/dance performance, which was pretty well-rehearsed. The Indonesian delegates from Bandung got all dressed up in Traditional Costumes and did a mash-up of different kinds of dance. Gloria, another delegate from Jakarta, sang in sinden a traditional Indonesian singing technique, and totally sounded awesome. Us, from Laurensia? Well, we dressed up in our casual batiks, and did a music ensemble of the folk song, Si Patokaan. 
After that we were shown something very touching. It was a slideshow, evidently edited by Ho Yi Xin, whose part of outreach, and showed our adventure this past week as ONE BIG AYC FAMILY.

Oh gosh. I was so touched right then and there. I even got a little teary-eyed, which is a seldom thing for me. :')

So yeah.. after that we were sort of let loose. We took photos, last minute mingling and then the foreign delegates had a trip to Sentosa. We created so many memories there. Most of the Indonesian delegates went over to try the Luge, but since I was broke and had already gone it on Day 0 ;) I decided to just relax by the beach.

Man, the sights there were absolutely beautiful. The last time I had been to the beach was when I was like 4 back in Philippines. To the far left was a bridge that connecting to another small island, decked out with swaying, tall palm trees. And in front us was the vast ocean, clear blue, slowly ebbing as the tide rolled on, hitting the sand and smoothening it out.

I had a blast with Olivia, Kay and Zoya, rolling up our jeans to put our feet in the sand and feel the water. Even Ezra, Yan Cheng and little Yan Kiat dove in the waters for a swim.

The night ended with us watching SONGS OF THE SEA together, something that I re-lived after such a long time. I give the show five stars (Y)

When we got back to the hotel, we Laurensia kids convened into room 426, Toby, Edwin and Kenny's room for a debrief. We were all there even Yudhi and Sir Yudi. I was getting a bit nostalgic as we talked about everything we had experienced because of AYC. I was getting teary-eyed a bit, and keep on covering my face, to the point I fell asleep (Hahaha!)

After that we celebrated with cake. More specifically Mr Yudi's tiramisu birthday cake! (Happy Belated again sir :P)

We were all having so much fun, I guess I felt like idiot for becoming a little emo-ish. But when the night was over, I did feel happy, and you know, satisfied. And again, when I felt asleep, I didn't think 'Goodbye' was on anyone's mind.

--Karin Novelia

0 comments:

Post a Comment